the raccoon highway

Sitting with my coffee at 8 a.m. this morning – watching as one after another, SIX young raccoons emerged from the shrubbery and climbed up the ivy wall to the left, on their way home. They sleep at the top somewhere. Six. The city is doomed.

10.30. Since you guys like raccoons so much, I’m adding a not-great pic I took of the one who wanted to come and have breakfast with me.

6 Responses to “the raccoon highway”

1. theresa says:

So pretty, though — their intelligent faces and careful movements! And your garden is ravishing!

And they were here first. Lani

The others moved away when I came out onto my deck to photograph – but one lay in the middle of the grass surveying me calmly. Waiting for snacks, I guess. I know, they are hilarious and interesting – but they do wreak havoc. And thank you, the garden is my joy. As perhaps you know. Happy Saturday to you, Grandma.

Okay, okay, Lan – I haven't driven them out, though I have applied axel grease to the downspout to prevent them from climbing onto my roof. And to the stem of the bird feeder to prevent them from climbing up and devouring all the seed. And have had a box built for the compost waste because they … ah well. Urban banditos. We co-exist.

5. theresa says:

Last fall there was one who visited us regularly, climbing up onto the pergola over the deck and eating the grapes with great delicacy and enjoyment. We never used to see them because we had dogs which kept them away. (Deer, too. And elk. And now we have regular parades of both, some of them even peering in the windows to see what we're up to.)

Wonderful. We also have skunks who perfumes the air nearly every night – and there are deer nearby, in the Don Valley ravine. I'd love a few nearby elk, could pretend to be in Banff. And then of course we have another breed of animal, our mayor …