Grace and friends

My invaluable friend and assistant Grace, who spends a few hours every Tuesday helping me with all things computer and technical to do with the book and my website, also works at the breakfast club at the K Club down the street. Here she is with her charges. A true Toronto group.

Here’s what we designed this morning, for a postcard about the book to go to bookstores:

I LOVE IT! What do YOU think?

9 Responses to “Grace and friends”

It deeply saddens me to see young girls in Canada wearing headscarves. The hijab is a complete contradiction to Canadian values. In my opinion, as a born and raised Canadian, the hijab does not belong in Canada.

Other than that, the photo is beautiful, as is the postcard.

The headscarf doesn't bother me, though it is a shame these girls who wear it are so very young. Nuns covered their heads, in other places women cover their hair. What appalls me is when I see the full niqab, which is everywhere here. A few days ago, I passed, on Gerrard Street, a group of six young women covered head to toe in black cloth with their faces covered, only tiny slits for their eyes. They were waiting for the streetcar, laughing and giggling, but I felt I had jumped back into the Middle Ages. The French government has dealt with this. But who knows the answer? It's a very complex issue.

It's about the control of women through religion by men

Yes, but it's also a very complicated issue with a very long history in almost every society.

The subjugation of women by men is still happening in many countries in the world, whether it be in the name of religion or cultural mores : genital mutilation, murdering of young girls who refuse arranged marriage , by their own family, the stoning of adulteresses, the wearing of the niqab. There are many very distressing stories of terrible things which are done to women in societies with extremist religious views,the niqab or any other restrictive clothing is a symbol of control. I agree it is a very complex issue and has a very long history, but it is fundamentally wrong

I agree with you about the horrifying extremes of repression worldwide. The rise of fundamentalism is terrifying.

geez – I was just going to comment on the postcard, which I think is a wonderful idea. As far as covering up young girls well, that's way to big a subject for a comment.
    Lani

Gotcha, Lani. When I visit, I'll bring postcards.