So True triumph

A quick update, if I can ever do something quickly on this blog … First, my remarkably resilient son is upbeat, full of cheer, with a minor head injury, abrasions to the face, pain in the chest, and the issues with his wrist. But he’s cheerful, and his workplace will welcome him back when he can get there, which he says will be soon.

Second, So True: we were expecting a small house, after over three years of pandemic hiatus. But it was packed, almost standing room only, almost eighty people. The readers triumphed. Tears sprang to my eyes over and over again as I listened. How we need stories! I read a story of my own about being briefly in the Brownies and invited the audience to join me in the Brownie chants like “To whit to whoo.” Many enthusiastic joiners.

Here are some responses to the event. Thanks to all the people who came out in the snow to hear writers tell the most important tales of their lives.

Truly a brilliant afternoon.  Thank you for all the guidance and encouragement you must give them.

My friends and family so enjoyed the event, especially the young people who appreciate that this is culture at its best. They were delighted with the variety and intrigue of the presentations. Thank you dear writer, mentor, editor, teacher, friend. So many hours of work and a brilliant story of your own .

Beth, nothing is more true than what you said about how we need to be in one another’s presence, “in real life” (as the kids say) to share the beautiful experience of listening and being heard. Thank you for carrying on this wonderful tradition, and bringing beautiful stories into the spotlight.

And from Ruth:
To whit to whoo, my sentiments too.
Magnificent stories and all of them true,
And shepherded skillfully, lovingly through
By our talented, sensitive you-know-who.
So glad it worked for you all. Here’s Diana whose moving but also hilarious story about some difficulties with her trans identity brought down the house. There will be another So True in the fall. I assume both the beautiful woman and the old bag will be there.

9 Responses to “So True triumph”

Loved it, great event! Here's an idea- maybe your next book should be a collection of stories told at SoTrue events (Ginette)

Thanks, Ginette, glad you enjoyed it. Great idea. Hmmm.

3. Congratulations Beth!! Anonymous' suggestion is a good one!

Thanks, my friend. Hmmm again. It's just – it's so hard to get a book off the ground. But certainly something to consider.

A book on So True has a built in audience, Beth. It could be your best-seller!

Thank you Beth. So True always fills my soul. I was affected by everyone’s stories, even now. Living in hectic Toronto especially, it is so grounding to hear the emotional realities of others. I felt thawed upon leaving yesterday. The steel armour I wear in this city was penetrated. Inspired, I could hear my own voice again too. Thanks to all for your hard work and the bearing of your souls.

Thank you! I don't know who you are but your words are wonderful.

Oh right haha, it’s Lianne Hicks